There have also been lots of frustrating problems and re-dos lately with the framing. I won't go into all that. It's a good thing Jody knows the plan so well and can point out the problem areas. The work is very good, but between imperfect plans, missed moments and miscommunications, there have been mistakes made. I hear from Jody and the carpenters that it's a normal process on all jobs, but it's not easy. We have been bearers of bad news to the crew lately, it seems.
I'll try to explain each photo so you can get an idea of what's being shown.
This view is from the living room looking toward the dining room. I've whitened the wall so you can see the profile (of the new vaulted ceiling) and the window.

Here is a view from the hall area looking down the living room toward the back deck. Lots of new rafters.

This is the dining room looking toward the back. You can see the new window and door spaces. We had to have them redo this window, so now there is more space between the door and window.

The arched window in the living room! I absolutely love this detail. Jody says the architect groaned at this idea (which he did quite a bit), but I'm so glad Jody prevailed and kept it in. It is like a work of art framing an ever changing natural scene.

Here is the wall between the driveway and the back deck entrance all framed up. It will be stucco and be one of the "mission-style" elements. There will be a gate of some kind in the larger arched opening. The house will have 4 arches all together.

This is looking from the living room into the dining room. Kind of hard to make out, but a very interesting angular space created by the opening. I whitened the wall.

This is looking up from our bedroom upstairs to the high southern windows. There were (awful) windows there before that were more rectangular. I like these! Nice view of the trees. It's the view we'll wake up to, although we'll have windows to the east and north, too, that are new.

I'm sure things have already changed a lot since these photos.
Still have so many decisions to make. We're trying to get the tile decisions made in the next few days for the bathroom floors and tub and shower surrounds. Today we're off to San Jose to the large showroom.
It's supposed to rain this weekend a bit — hope it doesn't!
5 comments:
Ooh, I like the new background for your blog!
It's really interesting to see things starting to come together. Although the shell of the house is just the tip of the iceberg, I know. Good luck with your tile shopping and many decisions.
I love the view "up" from your bedroom. How great to watch it change, morning & night, through the seasons (do you have those there?? ;-)
Good progress. I'm glad you'll have so many windows in your bedroom. I like the arched window as well. Will it take a stock window, or will it be custom made?
I figured out how to adjust the template to customize it. And yes, we do have seasons, but the pines don't change a lot except for more brown needles in the winter and there's the changing light, of course.
The window will be stock. All of our windows will have divided lites. The arched window will have an awning window on the bottom 1/3 or so and a non-opening window in the top 2/3. I hope it keeps its magical quality with the window in.
I wanna come see the house. I've been through a similar experience. BTW I know Craig and spoke with him today! Small world. When I speak with you again I would like to tell you a story about Craig and I and our connection and the important information that he gave me that has shaped my creative life. Howzthat for a teeter?
Wowee zowee! So much happening all at once! We're glad to be able to see the progress, thank you for keeping a log.
Post a Comment